Algorithm is a set of rules how search results generate from millions of matching websites. To make results more relevant, every search engines roll out new changes to their Algorithm periodically. The major Google algorithms are penguin, Panda and humming bird.
Penguin is dealing with all the spam activities that webmasters doing for optimization their page. Because of that, penguin become a nightmare to them. Backlink spamming, Keyword stuffing, anchor text over optimizing etc are counted as over optimization and penguin will treat them by penalties.
History of penguin algorithm
The first penguin algorithm rolled out on 24th April 2012, from then penguin undergoes a lot of changes. Last updated version of penguin algorithm is version 3.0 rolled out on 17th October 2014. By each update, it become more strong to prevent web spam activities.
- Penguin 3.0 — October 17, 2014
- Penguin 2.1 (#5) — October 4, 2013
- Penguin 2.0 (#4) — May 22, 2013
- Penguin #3 — October 5, 2012
- Penguin 1.1 (#2) — May 25, 2012
- Penguin — April 24, 2012
How to get away from penguin penalties
There are several Google’s quality guidelines you have to follow that will keep you away from penguin penalties. That are,
- Avoid keyword spamming :- Never try to make your site to reach for a particular keyword density by stuffing it in your article unnaturally.
- Never use spam link building techniques :- We already made a discussion on 20 Spam link building ways. choosing any of that tactics will get you penalized.
- Anchor text optimizing :- Anchor text are keywords used to link a site. Focusing on a single keyword as your anchor text will also invite the red card.
How to check your site for penguin penalty
Search penalties can be simply understand from traffic drops. Penguin penalty is a page wise penalty, which will affect to a particular page while other pages will rank normally. It can understand from sharp traffic drop for a particular keyword.
If you are penalized by penguin, you can see that penalized page may get de-indexed (removed from index) while the rest of site is indexed. Sometimes, webmaster may receive a message regarding the penalty inside webmaster tools.
How to recover from penguin penalties
Well, if you found your page got penguin penalty. Then you have to start the steps to get recover from it. It is to better hire an SEO expert for doing it properly.
- Identify the page and keyword, which got penalty. This is important because your penalty reason is that particulr anchor text links pointing to those page.
- Run a backlink analysis of that page to get complete links pointing to it.
- From backlink list, identify bad links that cause penalty.
- Remove those links by contacting respective webmasters.
- After doing the maximum to remove those links, you can use Google’s Disavow tool to request Google not to count those links anymore.
- Now you have to wait until Google Bot re-crawls these changes. It may take time depends on crawling rate. It can delay up to 3 months.
- If you got penalty message on webmaster tool dashboard, then it is good to send a reconsideration request by mail.
When you recover from penalty, you can see increase in traffic for penalized keyword.
Penguin getting smarter in every updates, it can identify any kind of unnatural backlinks. If you wish to be in a safe zone, then never practice any black hat tactics to build backlinks. We can expect more algorithm updates on coming days, but that never make us tensed unless we malpractice. Try to learn algorithm is the key to success in SEO, so follow up every updates and understand what changes happened.
We have discussed history, penalty reasons and recovery solutions of penguin algorithm. If you have doubt on any of this section,ask me. Also you can approach me for any help regarding penalty recovery. Thank you.